I'm sort of interested in taking a survey, but also wondering if other people think the accuracy of your tuner is audible. As for me, I became tied to electronic tuners years ago when I realized that they were faster and more accurate than I care to be. I had spent years perfecting my ability to tune with just one reference pitch. But then came the electronic tuners and I gave up that craft.

About two years ago, I was watching Delta Moon at Blind Willies and the lead singer kept tuning his guitar with a Korg Pitchblack. I decided I had to have a floor tuner and looked at the Boss, Digitech, Korg, Peterson etc. But then I saw this little tuner for about the same price as the Korg that was a true strobe tuner with .02 cent accuracy. (I think the boss TU2 had an abysmal 3 cent accuracy at the time.) I went ahead and bought it and was surprised at the difference it made in the sound of my guitars. They never seemed so in tune.

My son and I spent about an hour blind testing and we both concluded that the difference was audible and significant. I wasn't willing to spring for the Peterson virtual strobe pedal price, but at this price point, I couldn't refuse. I've never looked back either - I tune almost exclusively with strobe now. (Turbo Tuner is my pedal.)

Just recently, Peterson put out an iPhone virtual strobe tuner for $9.99. Wow! It's accurate (.1 cent), steady and easy to see. So now, I am rarely without a strobe tuner (I still haven't spent as much as the Peterson would have cost). Granted, I do make the rare adjustment to a string or two depending on the key. 

So two questions:

1) Do you tend to depend on electronic tuners? If so, which one (s)?

2) If you are a strobe user, do you feel that it makes an audible difference?

Views: 176

Replies to This Discussion

Oops - major fail before.

I meant, "why is fretted/harmonic better than fretted/open"? Or was the point of comparison in doing it with or without the tuner?

Cheers!

Ah, thus my confusion. I would have assumed you were already using the tuner for it. I will say that it makes an audible difference even at the 3rd fret when it's done right.

If you think the TU3 makes it go well, try a strobe tuner!

The TU-3 is a better tuner than the TU-2 - much more accurate.

Pianos are often tuned to a tempered tuning - is that correct? We never tune to our piano - and after reading your post, I think I will intentionally avoid listening for it as I'm sure I'll hear a difference and not be able to accept it. 

To that point - I play whistle from time to time as an accent instrument and I tried bringing in my low E whistle and the piano is so out of tune with the whistle that I couldn't play it. I'm sure it's the whistle...

Yes, Pianos use tempered tuning, although an octave is STILL an octave.

For those who want a sweeter tuning you might like to try Washburn guitars - above the baseline they come set up for Buzz Feitin tempered tuning as standard, with the idea of making the thing work better within itself. Peterson and some other tuners are designed to accommodate BF tuning requirements. I tried a small part of the BF technique (moving the nut slightly closer to the first fret by removing wood at the end of the fingerboard) on my acoustic, and it seemed to help a little. It could be reversed if necessary by adding shims between the nut and board. Don't forget that on acoustic you can still alter action and relief, although that won't fix a badly placed bridge.

I've got my own version where I like to intonate the B and G slightly flat (compared to the octave pitch). I suspect this works because I play fairly hard, and probably bend strings a little sharp on the frets.

I see that your church piano doesn't de-tune equally...We have a Yamaha grand and it is not even in turn with itself.

That's what happens when you live in a cold climate and they turn the heat down during the week and don't humidify anything properly. I tried to convince them to go digital, but it didn't go over so well.

There are days I'd sacrifice sound quality for in-tune...

Wha...? You mean all guitars are not perfectly set up out of the box? I thought I had it rough just remembering where to put my fingers for each chord.

It's a little dusty back here at the rear of the pack, but I'm learning lots from your comments. :)

Without de-bonding and re-gluing the bridge, most acoustics cannot be adjusted. Sometimes the bridge slots are slightly wider, so that an altered 'nut' can be created and the truss rod can be tweaked, but generally you're stuck with whatever sucky semi-intonation the maker chucked it out with. Even some of the better makers (Yamaha, I'm looking at you) mis-place the bridge badly enough to get pulled up in magazine reviews. On the occasions I have been acoustic guitar hunting then first thing to ever check is whether the intonation is bearable - no point in trying anything else if the guitar isn't made right (and often it isn't).

It doesn't matter for a lot of people - they'll never move beyond the 4th fret anyway, so as long as the nut is cut deep enough they'd never know.

And there are the compensated saddles. McPherson includes three different ones with their guitars - each for different string gauges.

Good to see someone is taking it seriously.

Stevo, if you like the idea of pickup plates check out this linkhttp://www.specialtyguitars.com/accessories.html

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/cutting-e... Yeah, that is the one I use. 

That peticular pickup has no base plate, the ground wire is soldered directly to the magnent.

? Your bridge pickup has the larger base plate.

I see where we're not communicating...I'm not talking about an extra metal plate, I'm talking about the actual base of the pickup. Yours does have this wider base that most tele bridge pickups do. Without more information, I couldn't tell you why you're not getting any acoustic coupling from your bridge pickup. It likely has something to do with how you're mounting it on the bridge itself. Generally, that large metal bridge with the wide pickup base helps to create that classic tele sound.

I'm all for a good quality stomp tuner w/ a silent tune feature. I've used the Boss TU2 for good results, but have gone w/ the TC for my electric pedalboard since it's true bypass. But both work great/well enough for me.

Incidentally, even an in-tune guitar, in the hands of a heavy-handed player w/med-jumbo frets, can sound horribly out of tune.

Maranatha!

Rocky Jones

www.CalvaryChapelLouisville.com

RSS

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service