Does anyone else mess around with alternate tunings? I'm a huge fan of DADGAD. I also like to use my Kayser (sp?) capo in unconventional ways. If somebody has something else cool I'd love to try it. Blessings, Nick

Views: 1331

Replies to This Discussion

Lately I've been writing a lot of stuff with DADGBD tuning. It works quite nicely and gives a nice deep sound.
I love DADGAD and drop D, but another one I've never heard of elsewhere is one that I learned from Steven Curtis Chapman that I call Drop A. It's standard tuning with the B string dropped down to an A (EADGAE). This produces a very nice, open sound when playing in the key of A that I prefer 100 times over standard tuning.

Some of the basic chords are A5: X02200 Bm7: X20200 C#m(add6): X46600 or A/C#: X42200 Dadd9: XX0200 or X57700 F#m7: 202200 and Eadd4: 022100

Very awesome tuning that he uses in songs like Cinderella and Remembering You. Try it out, and you'll love it if you like DADGAD!
Hey nick I worte an instrumental album in the style of Andy Mckee, Eric Roche. In this I used a number of tunings such as...DGDGAD, ECDGAD, CGDFBbD, DGDF#AD, BGDGAD, these are all fun to mess around in :) espesially if you use tapping techniques :D
Now all those strange, other-worldly tunings that you mention here and that I've seen on the Andy Mckee albums have baffled me! How do you learn how to play in all these tunings and what's special about them? Are they even ideal for the rhythm flat picking that a worship leader normally has to stick with?
worship leader doesnt have to stick to any set rhythm, your the leader you do and the rest will follow. People have a set idea that worship on the acoustic is just bashing out chords but you can do so much more! worship as a musician is partially an expression of what God is doing in your life and what the spirit is doing at that time of worship on your instrument too, so why not try tapping or percussion on the guitar?. With these alternate tunings you can work out arrangements with of the standard worship track, even if you play the same chords, in an different tuning they take on a new light which can give new meaning or re-vitalise an overplayed worship song. This would be excellent if it was just the acoustic by itself as well as the chords are richer and full creating a bigger sound with just one guitar.

As for learning how to play in the tunings its all about having fun experimenting and trying chord shapes you know see which ones fit and which ones don't, working out new chords as well :) whats special about them is that your chords will sound very open, deep and cool sound, and can give a great base to build vocal/instumental harmony ontop of it.
Open C is a great tuning - it has several large ringing notes and allows for a lot of playing up the neck and has a lot of sustain and bass.. Bruce Cockburn's "Foxglove" is done in this tuning. I'm working on this for Christmas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK2PX7hH6io

This song's use of it is rather simplistic, but it really sounds nice.
I have been using a Breedlove Concert model with Nashville tuning and have been very pleased with the tones I get.  It is a nice change from my other acoustic which has standard tuning.  Dave Swann

I am writing a whole series of songs using this alternate Tuning.I am not a fan of the capo especially when it dumbs down the guitar playing .I only use one when the song is written with it.I choose to be a complete Guitarist and be able to write or play in any key.AJ

RSS

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service