Greetings WTR peps!

At my church we are currently working on the development of our theology of worship.  In other words we are seeking to flesh out on paper what we believe the Bible has to tell us about the practice of worship.  For those of you who have already worked through this process I would love to see your work... That is if you don't mind sharing it.  It would be helpful to us to see what others have developed.

Thanks!

Views: 1303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would agree that we do have a complete revelation and single theme verses tend to miss the breadth that's there.

There is something basic about Romans 12, but it's hard for me to make it a "one" verse - as tempting as it would be to boil things down to a single verse.

Our language could use a mid-sized word for "sorta comprehensive."  Midprehensive?  "Overarching" isn't bad. "Wide in scope."?

Mid-ish?

Jesus simplified (or distilled) the Law and Prophets into "Love God, love neighbor."  Immediately, somebody asked, "so who's my neighbor?"  Jesus obliged by launching into the parable of the Good Samaritan, so people could see what love "looks like" and examine their own character accordingly. So the Bible is thick with stories, the Old Testament first giving "example laws" based on the Ten, then histories chock-full of episodes showing how the Commandments were obeyed or disobeyed, with results following; and Jesus' distillation gives us further understanding.

If we're looking for a fuller theology (so to speak) of worship than Romans 12, how could we pass up the Ephesians/Colossians duet, that rare place where music is mentioned; and the times when God interacted with His people when they worshiped Him in both Old and New Testament, from smoke and flame to earthquake to beauty of holiness?  And dare we miss the little note in Paul's teaching that says "decently and in order".  Seems obvious -- but was it obvious to the Corinthians, who were (togas aside) no different than us?

Some may be more literal in interpreting a theology of worship -- they may want to dwell in booths during that season, or celebrate a Seder, to gain understanding through art and symbol.  Others may be more liberal - they will go straight to "love neighbor" and catch a plane to Mozambique and find sick people to heal.  But all people can use a solid understanding of what it means to worship God together.

Exactly...

Worship is so all-encompassing that it is difficult to define a theology for it.  It is not just singing songs. 

We had 3 messages on worship last fall; the first by our Rabbi, the 2nd by our regular worship leader and I gave the 3rd.

This should be a good discussion.

Hi David!

Thanks for responding!

"Worship is so all-encompassing that it is difficult to define a theology for it.  It is not just singing songs."

And there in lay the reason why we need a theology of worship. It's a deep subject that demands our diligent study. It is difficult to define but that is all the more reason to define it.  

Grace and  peace

A life that isn't worshiping is literally cold and dead.  If you're breathing, you're worshiping something.

Yep.

Maybe the question is the wrong way round or  like the Hitchhikers Guide we have an answer:   "Theology"  However we don't quite understand the question.

Theology:  the study of God

What do we find as we get closer to God and to understanding God.

Though a bit unweldy how about the question:

How does our understanding of Him drive/shape/govern the principles of our the corporate sung/musical worship of this incredible God?

Very good point. I would also add - "what has it driven us to so far and what should it look like?" Why and how? Just throwing it out there.

Mark Driscoll makes this point in his book Doctrine. He goes into a bunch of practical comparisons between the ancient world and the modern world. I.e. In the ancient word they had temples built to their gods and in the modern times we have stadiums (temples) built to sports heros (gods).

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service