When you look at your music ministry, worship leading, etc... what is your scale of measurement as you determine if it is successful or not? What would you need to see for you to feel that something has come of all of your time and efforts? What would make you feel like you've successfully lead the worship/music ministry of your church? What would make you feel like your actions as a Christian artist had been successful?

I ask all of these questions as they came to me because of a comment from another Christian artist. He was bitter towards music ministry as he felt that "nothing had come" of all of his efforts in his music. So it must be because God just hadn't stepped in yet to do anything with him.

What is he looking for and waiting for? What about you?

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not recommending this, just as I would not recommend sight reading for everyone. Just glad there's one place where it works to do what I do, because I'm sure I would not fit in everywhere.

But where can you go from there when it just needs a bit more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

:-)

There's more to playing guitar in a group setting than what consensus says about modern worship.

Well, no one had posted anything for a couple of days, and I can't stand the quiet. When we're opening "Mamma Mia" at the high school in another week and a half, and what I'm playing at church makes ABBA feel like a Swedish metal band, something must be done. ;)

You mean that an assumed consensus elsewhere doesn't actually constitute a universal best practice? :D

There's a vulgar schoolboy joke about 50 million flies, but that's inappropriate here. :p

Talking of Abba, have you ever found yourself playing the riffs from songs that sound like they were the inspiration for worship songs? I can't remember the worship song now, but there's one that always reminds me of 'does your mother know' (others that seem similarly related to worship songs include Another Brick In The Wall, More Than A Feeling and Since You Been Gone, though obviously not in YOUR church environment).

You get bonus points if you can visualise Rowan Atkinson singing in the bathroom. ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbZMv52WCPY

Yes. Also, I'm interested in listening to songs that were done by bands that were perceived as one-hit wonders. One in particular, Shocking Blue, had a hit in 1967 with "Venus", yet until recently I'd never listened to the rest of their catalogue. I can't really place them into a genre at this point. Some electric folk, pop blues, some rather garage band sounding heavy rock tunes, later a couple of tracks which sounded vaguely like ABBA, but with Mariska Veres' smoky voice, a year or two before their first release. Those were what first caught my attention in prep for the above mentioned musical.

I'd like to apply this sort of research to my church playing and expand my internal library for comping from chord charts in an interesting way, rather than mimicking tones and licks from a recording or "couldn't you just strum the chords?" style playing. I already amaze my daughter when we're in the car listening to the radio, some obscure secular song comes on, and I tell her the name of the guitarist, describe the rig used on the recording, and sometimes recall the recording particulars of the session, like the producer, the engineer, even the mixing board at the studio. With many worship songs, it's like, ok, that was done somewhere in Nashville but is so unremarkable that the particulars elude me, and I'm not inspired to go look them up. I suppose that's by design, that conviction not to draw attention to oneself.

You, sir, are dedicated to you craft, in a way that I really am not.

TBH I stopped enjoying guitar some years ago, and the more I do the less I really want to - working with the other church we were involved in really broke something in me for music and it's stayed broken. At the moment I'm working with some other guys putting a rock covers band together, but I just don't enjoy trying to learn the songs or playing other peoples music, though it was fun assembling pedals to replicate Bryan Adams Run To You.

Noticing that the drums on the backing track for our ladies vocal group this morning had a single slapback at about 75 ms makes me feel a little weird.

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service