Justin posted this some time back "I would also go back and look at your worship binder and pull out some old songs that everybody loves... Update them and put them back in your normal rotation you'd be surprised how people will respond to that."

I was wondering, what are the oldies-but-goodies that you use in your church? I'm leading worship at a church where the pastor has discerned the Word of the year to be Psalm 3:3, so I brushed the dust off A Shield About Me (written in 1980) and used it.

How about you?

Views: 699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I almost used "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" for a gathering today.

Great is Thy faithfulness oh God my Father. There is no shadow of turning with Thee. Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not. As thou has been and forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness (2x)
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
As I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness Lord unto me.

NOT BAD FOR SOMEONE WHO IS MORE OF A LOUD MUSIC TYPE, EH?
A personal favorite...
me too. I used to sing it everyday when carrying my elder boy. That was when he was a little baby. I wonder if that's why he's such a serious kid... :)
We've been tuning that one up to use again at our church. I really love it.
I didn't do it but one of our worship leaders used When the Spirit of the Lord is Upon my Heart and it just rocked the congregation. Granted most of them didn't know the song, they are too young but the arrangement was so hot that they loved it.
Everytime I use How Great Thou Art I get very good feedback.
Amazing Grace I love this song..........
Hi,

I Love You Lord and I Lift My Voice...love it!

Blessings
Kev
I'm super excited about our Ash Wed. service. I put together a less "chordy" version of What Wondrous Love is This, with soprano and alto singers, a viola, and me on guitar. It was really simple, but hauntingly beautiful... The two ladies who made up the half choir did an excellent job at rehearsal this evening, and I think the traditional folks expecting a typical "choir" anthem will be pleasantly surprised at what's to come.
We dont do many hymns, we are a contemporary worship band.... but I pulled out How Great Thou Art recently...we did a modern rendition by Newsong, and it went over very very well. I had never liked doing that song because there was always a clash over the timing...one person learned it this way, another learned it that way.... But Newsong's version is pretty much the same song melody-wise, it's the instrumentation that breathes fresh life into it. Good job Newsong!
The trick with this hymn is not to think too hard. Just sing what breathes, get what I mean?

I like this hymn. It's a hard one for worship leaders to mess up. Idiot-proof, in other words. We just need to watch out for the key, the vocal range is a bit wide... :)
Hi JJ,
It's been a while since we last chat ... trust that everything is well with you.
Here are some of my favourites in the 80's mostly from Hosanna Integrity:-
Jehovah Jireh
Give Thanks
Glorify Thy Name
My Life Is In You
Celebrate Jesus, Celebrate
I Worship You Almighty God
As The Deer
When I Look Into Your Holiness
Take Me In
He Is Exalted
many more .................. We have others from Maranatha, Bob Fitts, Marty Nystrom ....
These are some really great ones. I have recently taken back out 'When I Look Into Your Holiness' and 'Glorify Thy Name' to add back into our list of songs. There are several others on your list that we do every so often.

RSS

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service