Posting this song for thoughts and advice.  I have shared this song in another songwriting group in the past and I have rewritten it a couple of times but I still feel it could be improved somewhere.   Some questions in my mind:  Would it work as a congregational song in your church?  Is there anything about the song that you would do differently if you were writing it?  Does it flow nicely or is it clunky somewhere?   Is the style and melody appealing?  Do the lyrics make sense?

A worktape recording of the song is attached as well as a current lyric / chord sheet.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to listen, review, and offer any feedback.

Views: 26

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, so here are my first impressions... you know how I operate on this stuff...

Reading through the lyrics, there is something about that line "Saved by God's own Son" in the first verse that feels off. I just really want it to be something more metaphoircally in tune with the 'building" theme of the song - which I think you do a good job of sticking to thoughout most of the song, although I do think "purchased with His blood" is similarly off-topic. It's not that I object to the thought that we are "saved by God's own son," it just feels like you've sorta abandoned the imagery and just filled in some good contemporary worship song words.

The bridge does shift from God as "Him" to God as "You" which is one of my pet peeves... since it's a moderately slow song, my first thought would be to cast it all with God as "You" - "which YOU rescued from the rubble" etc. I don't know, I'm not sure I'd know until I tried it both ways, but I would try to make it consistent, one way or the other.

I wonder if it would be more appropriate to refer to "A temple of broken pieces" instead of "THE temple..."  Or, depending on how the song was cast, "YOUR temple..."

I feel like things are a little inconsistent just in terms of... are we Christians (as a group) a/the temple, or are we people who are rescued from the rubble of a broken temple. Or maybe it's more like ARE we a broken temple or WERE we a broken temple but now we're something else?

Okay, so, musically... in that first line (etc), I'd be interested in hearing what it sounds like if the word "temple" hit on the 1 beat rather than "We are..."

In general, it feels like there are a number of words that are held out that might be more effective if they were sung as, like, quarter notes rather than half notes. It's not that the tempo needs to be sped up, it's just that the individual words want to be sung more quickly, even if that means longer pauses between lines in the lyric, or maybe a couple places where eight beats of music could be done in four beats.

I think there is a song in here that I would do with our congregation, but it's not quite there yet. Any objections if I fiddle around with this, see if I can record a version the way we might do it? That's easier than trying to explain what I would do, and I also find that just the process of recording a song is the way I figure out where the subtle issues are... plus it gives you a chance to react in horror to what I would to your baby :-)

Charles,

Thank you.  I can always depend on you for a thoughtful critique.

Yes, I was aware that I switched to addressing God directly in the bridge, and it is something I don't usually do and agree that it probably shouldn't be done.   The bridge also gets a little weird in rhythm so that whole section may need some fiddling and adjusting (or maybe a total overhaul). 

Please see what you can do with this and share it here. I took this song to a point and abandoned it, but I like the concept enough that I want to see what can be done with it to improve.  So have at it.   

Also, I can play up my reaction if you wish, but I have done enough co-writing of songs to appreciate how others may interpret and redevelop what I have come up with.

Sorry, no new recording yet, but I have been looking at this some more... the sticky spot I keep running into is whether we're talking about a "broken temple" or a (whole) temple made of "broken pieces."  Taking the title for what it says, I know we're talking about the latter, but the image that keeps coming up in my mind is of a temple that has been reduced to rubble.  Maybe the lyric needs to be a little more like "God is building a temple from broken pieces..."  "We" are the broken pieces, "we" are not the temple.  That may require a little more lyric tweaking than I was initially thinking of, but I think that's where the lyric is stubbing its metaphorical toe.  I shall continue to ponder...

It’s the latter. I wouldn’t overthink the lyrics. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 3:17that we (corporate) are the temple of God. The song attempts to capture that each one is a piece seemingly worthless on its own but valued by God and built together to make His temple - His dwelling. My own issue with the song is what would make the best bridge (or a better bridge) and what would make a better melody throughout. Maybe some lyric tweaks are necessary also in areas outside the bridge, but I thought mainly the bridge.

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service