Let me just get this out of my system.  We all know we want to post a listing of our current pedal set-ups and to see what other people are using. We all just need to remember the two major sins associated with this kind of posting (pride and covetousness) and lay our hearts out before the Lord so He can remind us that our value and purpose in life is not informed by effects pedals.  Once we move beyond that I think this kind of discussion thread can be fun and educational.

My current board set up looks like this:

Guitar --TC Helicon Harmony G XT --Boss Noise Supres ---Digitech TimeBender Delay--EH Cathedral

V              ^                                                                 V

EH Soul Preacher     Boss Power Wah                        Egnater Renegade 65

V               ^

VL Sparkle Drive --- EH Nano Stone Phase

Hope that is not confusing.

Views: 4279

Replies to This Discussion

Go for it! And if you have time, drop down to Somerton in Oxfordshire for a cuppa & a fiddle with the guitars.

I'm in the middle of building a pedalboard from Ikea GORM shelving units - not as granola-like as you'd think (have a look online for some excellent builds) and it will have 2 levels to stop me treading on the front row of pedals when I try to reach the back, a full-depth flat section for a wah and space underneath to hide the power supply & extension cable. Just needs painting & the pedals adding on. Pics later.

Present kit for worship seems to be my sons MIM strat with GFS greybottom pickups (nice and fat, smooth sounding) through the compressor with occasional hints of chorus or delay. The team is coming along well, and when we have enough repertoire in a few weeks I think we'll be able to go live.

Sounds good.

The new worship team have now managed a couple of months together building repertoire and getting used to working together: first time out will be playing at the licensing of the new rector for our area, then Sundays regularly after that. A few weeks back I brought along a strat for the first time, and one of the other members of the team commented about how nice it sounded. Then I brought another strat along and she said how nice that one sounded too. TBH I think it's just that I'm gradually starting to play properly again. ;-)

But to stay on topic, I've recently gone back to using the Korg AX30G processor (now 20 years old) because it's small and easy to carry. It also has one of the most musical compressors I've ever found, even if most other effects are just so-so.

*like*

;)

That's a great soul kitchen vibe you're rocking with that drainer, Greg. ;-)

Enjoy your pedaltrain. I've been using one of those cases for several years with a deep lid that lifts of a low base and allows everything to be carried around easily including leads & power supply. It's large enough for about 6-8 boss-size pedals + volume pedal and power supply. for transport I place a 1" deep sheet of foam on top of the pedals, then leads on top of that, and it holds everything in place while vertical. Cost about $45.

I did build an Ikea shelf-based board too, but that's HUGE and not practical for carrying everywhere.

There's no fixed pedal configuration right now, although it generally looks something like: Pitch Black tuner>Miniature Tube screamer clone>Rocktron chorus>Donner Alchemy (as a univibe)>delay. I've been using a NUX programmable delay that sounds really good, but there's a lot of noise from it, so currently have the Carbon Copy in there instead which also sounds very good, but isn't at all sparkly like the digital version. There's also comp, trem, flanger and distortion pedals kicking around that can be added in if I fancy the idea.

Sorry not to come back sooner. I've not used the alchemy live yet, but still like the tone in my living room - sounds best with a humbucker guitar for fat, washy organ-like tones. It may be too much live because it's a very space-filling sound.

I've not tried a DD7, but the CC version I own has a button on the top to turn on and off a chorus effect on the repeats that degrades them. Repeats are dark & warm anyway, and it sounds very different *to my ears* compared to the pristine repeats of a digital delay. My favourite place for this is in the effects loop of a highish gain amp, where you can knock out 80s rock tones. For U2-derived sounds it lacks the crystaline sparkle and clarity that's needed.

Know what you mean.

I can knock out a funk, disco, 2Tone or reggae rhythm without even thinking - the hands just do it. Try to teach that! I can't intentionally do the U2 8th note thing (well, that may not be true, but I can't *just* do it) but sometimes it just falls out of the guitar anyway. But it's funny when I think of the hours spent trying to learn parts that were never used more than a few times 20 years ago.

Which reminds me of a worship practice a year or so back where the song intro called for a kind of fast chugging guitar intro - which rapidly descended into Does Your Mother Know (Abba). Wasn't me guv, must 'ave been this guitar. ;-)

Just discovered I have a need to practice some more after all, though I'm not sure where I'd use it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDcFJpZazuk

OK, to report on the Alchemy - it's a really lovely univibe in a live situation, and probably worth more than $40 for that sound.

I'd set it up at home with a different amp & guitar, then locked in the settings. Played this morning in church and it was fat, rich, squelchy and gorgeous. Used it on Revelation Song to play the chord pattern with some damped rhythm work to leave space between the sounds and it worked very well indeed. It draws a little of the top end out of the guitar tone when engaged so there's no sparkle, but replaces it with something fatter. In some ways it's a lot like using a wah that stops before the pedal reaches the place where you get brain-darts through the ears. It also makes the guitar sound like a jazz organ.

The pedal itself is versatile, but I plan to leave it locked to that tone for now. I have other pedals as good or better for the other tones it does, and I don't want to be bending over the board when playing live.

Are you still in love with Timmy too?

Do you like your chorus lush and squishy or shimmering and transparent? If the former, it might be worth a look at the Donner Tutti Love chorus: tiny form factor and apparently true bipass, all for about $35 right now. Apparently it's the same innards as the Mooer chorus that so many raved about, though I found it too swampy (I like chorus crystalline and shimmering).

Sorry if I sound like a shill for donner.

http://www.donnerdeal.com/donner-tutti-love-chorus-guitar-effect-pe...

>2 years. It's no longer hip to prattle on about our effects, I guess. Anyway, I picked up a Keeley Abbey, a room / small hall reverb that is supposed to behave like one of the echo chambers at Abbey Road studios. The perceived "space" that is modeled by this reverb is quite a bit smaller than most of the HOF settings I'm familiar with, with the longest decay cleaning up in about 5 seconds. Within that space, however, it's much more believable, and less digital (cyclic? grainy?) sounding than the corresponding settings on my HOF. I don't miss the big splashy hall or church reverbs as I could never get them to actually work live. For those of you that love big ambient washes of sound, it's definitely not that thing. I like it better, though it's more about tweaking a sound that fits the room at a level largely unnoticed unless turned off then it is about bouncing swells off the opposite wall of the Grand Canyon.

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service