There are some worship songs that we use in Church that lead us to or suggest a physical response or call us to act on something in our lives. Song lyrics like 'I fall to my knees' or 'I lift my hands' are small examples of this and I have had people come up to me after singing some of these lyrics saying they find it really difficult because if they 'fell' to their knees this would a) be quite painful and b) they might not be able to get back up again. 

I have always struggled with the bridge of 'Over the mountains and sea' by Delirious and the 'like we're dancing now' line when the song is quite slow and difficult to really dance to and usually no one is dancing...

How do you feel about songs like this? Have there been moments where these really work and moments when they have backfired? 

I've been challenged over the last year or so about sharing my faith wherever I go and also to get out from behind the safety of Church walls but sometimes I wonder, is it weird to sing a song about the fact that being a Christian is more than a song? Follow link for example

https://soundcloud.com/joeaikenmusic/the-sound-of-your-name

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree it would be quite a noise! Perhaps there should be a distinction in the lyrics e.g. I will fall to my knees instead of I fall to my knees. I think it is less about following instructions and more about the fact that as the person singing the song you are stating that you are doing some sort of action when actually you are not. Of course the great thing about being able to use more than one song in worship is that some songs will be more significant to others as some may want to fall to their knees whereas others may not. I guess if we wrote songs that were able to encompass where everyone is at they would have to have no lyrics!

"They will dance with joy like we're standing still" is a memorable alternative version I remember from when that song first appeared. Just a point of theology, but I suspect they would be much more likely to cry out and try to hide too.

It's a difficult one, and as dependent on the worship leader using the right song at the right time. To a degree it's up to us to find a song that expresses where God's Spirit seems to be leading and to go with that, and that might well include a song with a physical response. But a bit like a husband with his wife, as a sensitive lover a worship leader with the bride of Christ might not push her to do things she isn't really happy about and doesn't feel comfortable to do.

Nice alternative lyrics, certainly more true of the majority of places I've been when this has been sung...

Interesting thoughts, it kind of begs the question as to how in touch a worship team (or any church leadership team) is with where the congregation is at. Perhaps trying to get a feel for what a congregation is comfortable with is a key part of it? I guess you can run new songs past other leaders in the church and maybe even try it a couple of times and see what feedback you get, although usually people are quick to tell you they don't like something and sometimes the loud minority will convince you that a song is not working...As always trying to strike a balance between leading and also not leaving people behind can be tough.

We had a new song we were trying at a conference and the general feedback was that this was not working, however we also felt that we should persevere and with a few changes (lower key and shortening some instrumental turn around sections) it did start to work.

I get this feeling when I sit at the keyboard to play that older worship classic, "I stand in Awe of You"...

That's a good one, I have trouble with any song that has 'I lift my hands' when I'm playing guitar!

God is bothered about the position in our heart, mind and soul.   You can be on your knee's while standing up.

I agree that God sees what is happening on the inside however, thinking about this in a wider context, it is often that what is on the inside changes our outward actions. I would suggest it is also important if we say we are followers of Jesus that we at least try to act outwardly on what we say we believe. Whilst these are perhaps bigger examples than the song lyrics in question it is still important to consider what we are asking our congregations to sing, are we hoping to encourage people to lift their hands or fall to their knees or do we just want people to do this on the inside. Different congregations will respond in different ways but are we in touch with where they are at?

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service