Are Today's Worship Songs As Anointed As Those From The 80s-90s?

But  if the Holy Spirit is speaking to your heart too

Hossana/Maranantha/Vineyard/Hillsongs of the 80s-90s I wish we could bring it back afresh

why?;

1)Scriptural

2)Anointed

3)Prophetic

4)Excited about our Lord in song

5)Orchestral(when possible)

6)Congregational

7) Lifted up the Lord

I just feel back then it was all about God...Im not saying we dont have great stuff today,we do and I use it as a pianist/keyboardist worship team player but it seems todays its more what we can get from God than what we should be offering to God       (Romans 12:1True Worship)

Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

KURZWEIL PC-3/KORG KROME 88/YAMAHA MOTIF XS SOUND MODULE/ROLAND I7 MODULE/ROLAND VK8M ORGAN MODULE/ROLAND A8OO MIDI CONTROLLER........UNFORTUNATLY WISH MY TALENT COULD MATCH MY GEAR:(

Views: 1135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll go over and see what you've started!   Lots of perfectly good Christian songs may be properly Ballads, Meditations, Reflections, Didactics -- and all fo those things are or an be forms of worship, but not necessarily Worship Songs, which invite the singer to enter in to worship, which bring directed devotion and thanks to God, or simply celebrate His goodness.

To me, a parallel question is:  Well, are these other sorts of songs valid in some part of the worship service? 

Some of my colleagues would ask yet another:  is there a dividing line, such as "a song to God vs. a song 'about' God?  But if so, would that disqualify most, if not all, songs? (Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" is obviously worship - yet it also distinctly tells whys and wherefores, all in the space of thirty-four words of text)  Probably most songs straddle any line that can possibly be drawn.

An interesting read I found with some great videos and insight

4 Things Christian Artists Can Learn From The Life Of Rich Mullins

1. The Value of Authenticity

2. The Value of Artistry

3. The Value of Having a Unique Voice

4. The Centrality of the Love of God

https://thimblerigsark.wordpress.com/2015/09/19/4-things-christian-...

Thank you for this beautiful set of views of Rich Mullins' life.  I only knew his music (the Step song and others, every one of which I liked); but the music was original, interesting, full of life-vigor and honesty, quite like the person I saw on this video clips.  I'm somewhat of a maverick myself, tracking along with Mullins and Keith Green and Doerksen and others who don't have to acquire a Nashville accent in order to live; and it does me good to get insights into the actual person.

Alicia Kardell said:

An interesting read I found with some great videos and insight

4 Things Christian Artists Can Learn From The Life Of Rich Mullins

1. The Value of Authenticity

2. The Value of Artistry

3. The Value of Having a Unique Voice

4. The Centrality of the Love of God

https://thimblerigsark.wordpress.com/2015/09/19/4-things-christian-...

I was grumbling about this sort of worship-tainment, thinking, "do I have to be a bullied, works-ruined, existential-crisis-a-minute, despairing abused child in order to get anything from worship songs today?  Are there any that simply offer growth, life in Jesus, love in simplicity?"  So I turned on K-LOVE to catalogue the themes of the songs I heard.  Well, the first one was of the "God will rescue you fro the ashes" variety; but the next one was simple praise, the following one a didactic on grace, and the next a wonderful thing describing the need to quit the noise and meditate on God by -- well, the music simply stopped and began to do what it preached.  Remarkable song!  In short, I heard a variety of approaches to encouragement in the Christian faith, and thus accomplished exactly what the K-LOVE people set out to do - encourage me.  There was even a nice-sounding female singer, a species I thought had gone extinct (for awhile I thought that all the singers were really the same person, who just used different names). 

I really like the Three Values and the Centrality of God.
Grant Schwarz said:

I'm an age where I've ridden the changes from 100% hymns, contemporizing liturgy, campfire choruses, Mega Church styles, event styles, café worship, worship-tainment etc etc .  I think a lot of this stuff circles through popularity, fads, the next big thing, reaction to the last 'big thing'.  One thing that is for sure, is that technology has had a huge influence on modern Church music.

Nowdays with YouTube channels, the ease or recording etc - it feels the focus of many Christian songwriters has shifted from providing music for congregations to sing to, to making it marketable.

The 'congregational' focused 'anointed' songs are harder to come by, simply because we have so much access to songs written for entertainment.   A huge percentage of modern Christian 'radio' artists now put their music on Song Select, diluting the songs actually written for congregations.

Many congregations now use an 'entertainment' style worship, creating a generation of congregational 'listeners'.  A lot of modern songs are written for that environment.  as someone previously posted - it's a swing from 'God You are great, and now it's, God, you make me feel great.'

While your small church musician/songwriter can have access to things like 'Song Select' (possible, but not easy), the mega Churches who churn out songs dominate the resource.

Anointed songs?  I'd also expect that the current generation would have a different interpretation of what that means to them compared the generations past. 

For me, worship that isn't focused on God - really isn't worship.  Same with music of any generation

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service