"Let Go and Know" is a song that I have been working on lately.  It seems to me that it would work as a congregational song, though it may be more of a performance song.   I would greatly appreciate any feedback and/or thoughts on improving the song.  (I am already not a fan of the piano introduction and plan to do make a better intro that transitions into the song more smoothly).

You can listen to the song at this link: https://soundcloud.com/brilawmusic/let-go-and-know-rough

Here are the song lyrics:

Let Go and Know – Brian Lawson – version 1-25-17 – Key “D”
[Psalm 46:10; Exodus 14:13; Psalm 68:19; Matthew 11:28-30]

Abandon your striving
Let go and know
That I am God
Give up on your trying
Let go and know
That I am God

Give to Me your burdens
Be still and rest your aching bones
And leave your troubles
In these mighty hands of Mine

Oh why must you fight this?
Let go and know
That I am God
Release fear and all pride
Let go and know
That I am God

Give to Me your burdens
Be still and rest your aching bones
And leave your troubles
In these mighty hands of Mine [X2]

Let go and know
Be still and
Let go and know
Stop striving
Let go and know
That I am God
That I am God
Yes I am God

Surrender your whole heart
Let go and know
That I am God

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First impression, for congregational singing, I would "regularize" the rhythms of the melody, to me it feels like this is desperately trying to be a nice, flowing 3/4 song, but it's being forced into 4/4, with extra beats of rest here and there, not even predictably... umm, starting with the second line.  Even if you're going to keep the 4/4, try singing it with the 1 beats on ban - Let - I - up - Let - I  - Give me - Be - aching - etc.

Lyrically, it's well constructed, I have no problems with any specific lines... this is a message where first person "God speaking" can work for a congregational song; in this case, changing it to third person "Let go and know / that God is God" might make it less congregational.  I might end up casting it as "I'll abandon my striving, let go and know that God is God," if it was my song, that would make it more appropriate for congregational singing.  (Our last couple pastors have been into "inclusive language" to the point where they've trained themselves never to refer to God as "He" - sometimes to the point where it becomes annoying - but in the case of this lyric, if you were going to recast it, I think "God is God" actually works better than "He is God")

I had no problem with the piano introduction, and I think in this case it works nicely that it doesn't rhyme (other than God rhymes with God).  It consistently doesn't rhyme

And, uhh, while I'm picking on you, is there really no way that you can run that keyboard directly in to your recorder and then put the mic closer to your mouth, with the back end aimed at the keyboard unit so that we get a LOT less of that hand noise?  If that's a TLM 103 (or copy) it's a cardioid... compared to previous recordings, it sounds like you've made some improvement in your recording chain, but the "hands on keys clatter" is still very distracting.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't be reviewing songs early in the morning, I tend to be more mellow about it in the evening, but ya get what ya ask for...

Charles,

I'm glad that you listened and I have grown to appreciate "you being you" because I know you are being honest about it.  And I will allow my rhythmically challenged self to work on that area of the song a bit.

I record with a cell phone and that is all I have to work with.  I did pay for "studio" recording with a friend I know on three songs about 2 years ago, but all the rest is cell phone.  Improvement in recording lately is due to an upgrade in my phone...(lol).   I really should invest in some of my own equipment, software, etc., but this is where I am at at this point in my amateur songwriting hobby.

Overall, thanks again.

I like it, a lot! I'd see it more as an altar call type than a congregational application, but I think it's well written and it'll get smoother the more you play it. Very powerful song and I honestly enjoyed listening to it. I'm sure that you'll tweak it here and there, but personally I wouldn't change much if anything about it :) 

Nathan,

Thank you.  I'm glad you like this.  Yes, it does need smoothed up.  I haven't had much time lately to record or to even just play the piano.  I had this song running through my head, worked out the lyrics and just about everything without ever sitting down at the piano. Then the day I recorded was the first time I had the chance to sit down and play it on the piano.  I look forward to playing it and smoothing it up.  :-)

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service