While the whole site sale thing is going on I thought I would throw something out for some feedback.

This is my attempt at taking a favorite hymn and making some major adjustments to the melody, some changes to the lyrics to keep it in the first person to Jesus (because the original hymn is not consistent in that), and adding a bridge of my own "original" lyrics.

The track is at Soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/brilawmusic/i-surrender-all-version-2

Here are the lyrics and other info about the song:

Paying homage to the hymn by Judson W. Van DeVenter and Winfield S. Weeden – 1896
Revised lyrics, new melody and bridge by Brian Lawson – version 9/23/16

Verse 1:
All to You Lord, I surrender
All to You I freely give
I will ever love and trust You
In Your presence daily live

Chorus:
I surrender all, Jesus, I surrender all
All to You my blessed Savior

Verse 2:
Humbly at Your feet I bow
Worldly pleasures all forsaken
Take me Jesus, take me now

Chorus:
All to You my blessed Savior

Bridge:
All of my life, all of my days
Are dedicated to Your endless praise
All of my dreams, all of my plans
Are yielded to Your will and Your commands

(repeat chorus, bridge, chorus)

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nicely done.  The arrangement works and the changes in the melody make it sound more contempoary, which may or may not be what you were going for :-)  And, of course, I appreciate anybody who fixes that pesky to God / about God problem in a song lyric :-)  Thanks, I enjoyed that.

Thank you Charles.  I'm glad that you enjoyed it.  Feel free to use it anytime - if you want to.

I wish that I could find a way to improve the first verse lyric so that the word "You" wouldn't show up 3 times.  If you, or anyone, has an idea to improve that, let me know.

Charles Wolff said:

Nicely done.  The arrangement works and the changes in the melody make it sound more contempoary, which may or may not be what you were going for :-)  And, of course, I appreciate anybody who fixes that pesky to God / about God problem in a song lyric :-)  Thanks, I enjoyed that.

BTW, Phil Williams (if you read this), the song title is not my way of offering a bid for the website.  I just want to be clear about that.  :-) 

Hi Brian,

How about something along the lines of :

All of me I freely give
Ever ceding my love and trust

Lovely song BTW : )

Brian Lawson said:

Thank you Charles.  I'm glad that you enjoyed it.  Feel free to use it anytime - if you want to.

I wish that I could find a way to improve the first verse lyric so that the word "You" wouldn't show up 3 times.  If you, or anyone, has an idea to improve that, let me know.

Charles Wolff said:

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you very much.  Couldn't get my head to go that way and so glad you thought of a good alternative.

I like the "All of me I freely give" line.  I am sold on that one. 

I am not sure yet on the "Ever ceding my love and trust" because it forces "my" & "and" where it doesn't flow easily.  I'll keep thinking on that line.

Eliminating one "you" occurrence is good.  But if you have other ideas let me know. 

Thanks again.  

Lorraine Doswell said:

Hi Brian,

How about something along the lines of :

All of me I freely give
Ever ceding my love and trust

Lovely song BTW : )

Brian Lawson said:

Charles Wolff said:

Nicely done Brian! My only input really would be two things:

1) On the bridge, end "all of my days" on the same top note as the previous "all of my life" ends. Pushing to that same higher note could drive it a bit more.

2) Raise the key for the whole song. Singing it just a bit higher could give it more power, especially as you'd build into that Bridge.

Just my two cents. :) Good job!

Thank you Nathan.  

I definitely appreciate your feedback.  I will take your ideas into consideration.   As far as the key goes, I generally write in the key that I can sing it in and assume that others can transpose into any key they wish.  I believe here that I played it in the key of D but used my piano's transpose button to go up to D#.   I tried the key of E but I was straining at the first notes in the Chorus.  

Nathan Gifford said:

Nicely done Brian! My only input really would be two things:

1) On the bridge, end "all of my days" on the same top note as the previous "all of my life" ends. Pushing to that same higher note could drive it a bit more.

2) Raise the key for the whole song. Singing it just a bit higher could give it more power, especially as you'd build into that Bridge.

Just my two cents. :) Good job!

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service