“There’s power in prayer.” It’s a popular saying in Christian circles, but how often should we pray? 

I think everyone has experienced a different relationship with prayer. The vast majority would say that prayer is a relationship in itself.

Sometimes we only pray when we’re in need. We try to have a go at solving the puzzles of life ourselves with all of our internal and external strength.  We battle on and battle on and decide to take on the burden because if we try hard enough, eventually, we will find out the answer with our own intelligence. The problem with this can sometimes be that life throws some unexpected, unmanageable and unfathomable things at us which are unanswerable. Only the creator of life can truly help us overcome these situations. He created the product and the manual so knows His way through it all better than most.

Sometimes we only pray when we don’t need anything. We’re happy to ask God and thank God for the waking up, the going out, and the food on our table because we have evidence of these things so they’re easy to pray about. We’re so used to the routine and the mundane that this is all we stick to. We struggle to have faith for the things we can’t see. We think to ourselves “there’s no point praying about that because it will never happen.” This statement can be applied to dreaming big or healing. We see these things as a very hard thing to have faith for so we don’t bother praying about them. But in actual fact God is limitless and anything is possible with Him on your side.

So, how often should we pray and what should we pray about? Well here are a few bible verses that give us insight.

Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. 1 Corinthians 16:11

Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. Psalm 4:1

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalm 145:18

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

In conclusion, judging by these verses there is no right and wrong time to pray. It should be embedded in our brains because it is good for us to be in relationship with God. He wants to help us and He wants us to pray about anything and everything because he cares about us. No prayer is too small or too big. 

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 English Standard Version (ESV)
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

The right answer to the question "How often should we pray?" is "More often".

This response is directed at myself first and foremost.

Agreed Bryan! We should all take that response.

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service