As I was cleaning up my home office, I came across an article which I had printed out with an intent to write a counterpoint white paper. The text of the article can be found in this URL:

http://www.scottseverance.us/music/effects_of_music.htm

Maybe you've seen this article or at least are aware of this thinking. I would guess that most people on this forum wouldn't find much credibility in this article - even the original author admits some imbalance in the paper and suggests that his own previous conclusions were wrong.

Even so, this kind of thinking prevails in some circles and I wonder if it's widespread. Do any of you still hear statements like:

"Rock Music is Carnal because it makes you want to dance and move"?

"Rock Music is disharmonic and therefore wrong or harmful to your psyche"?

"A study on mice proves that certain music can cause nerve and brain damage"?

There are a lot of things wrong with this broad-stroked article and it's supporting material, not the least of which is the idea of blasting mice with music 24x7 and then killing them to study their brains. 

But that's where I stop. Anyone want to comment? I'm curious if this is mostly a dead issue or if there are still some circles of thought where this is prevalent. If it's still out there, do you think is there any validity to it? Should we take some of this to heart? Should we reject it outright? 

Views: 610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The guys who tossed the prayer requests was Robert Tilton. A devil in a Gucci suit.

I just wikipedia'd Tilton; no new info, but in 2003, Ole Anthony estimated he was grossing 24M tax-free with his new program.

The article happened to mention Don Stewart, whose office I visited on an errand in the 80's, to drop off a letter to a secretary.  He seemed to be preaching a reasonably square Gospel at the time; but what I remember from the visit was the pictures in the foyer.  Square center as you walked in was a gigantic, magnificently rendered oil painting of the Rev. Stewart; barely noticeable, in a corner of the room, a standard print, in a small frame, of Jesus of Nazareth.

Jesus said that there would be "wars, and rumors of wars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEyujOSEexM&ob=av2e

Johnny Cash with his version of Goin by the Book

I love this song.

is this harmful?

Listening to it now on Rhapsody. It's so very cool. It does appear to be his version of it.

That's the best song on this subject I have ever heard, especially with the video.

How could it be harmful?

Now, in the realm of style, it's more country than rock; and it's a Christian song in lyrics.

But mostly, it's truth, with an emphasis on heard truth, but truth nonetheless.

Not particularly congregational - I don't' see a huge throng of folks singing it together. But why not?

"A study on mice proves that certain music can cause nerve and brain damage"?

Like Opera...

In all seriousness I think the only place you are going to encounter this type of thinking is in IFBC and similar movements.  And random oddballs.

I will say that most church could probably do a better job at evaluating the music they are using...  It might be permissible but is it profitable.

Yea, that's where I would prefer to focus. It gets at the heart of some of your posts and some of the things I keep trying to promote - proper evaluation. Quality scriptural lyrics coupled with music that is well matched to the lyrics. And by well matched, I'm implying that the music should have the appropriate mood and feeling to match the message - certainly a subjective measure - but not so subjective that we couldn't find some common ground. We would not typically match a down-in-the-dumps blues tune with a joyous and uplifting lyric. 

Stevo, aren't you just saying that musicians should get serious about doing their job? The point of what we do is to communicate, not to confuse. I wonder why that's so hard...

Then again, I've seen a lot of (expensive) visual art that failed to communicate anything to me...but that could just be me!

I'm not sure - it's not the angle I was coming from, but I certainly wouldn't disagree.

For the last two weeks, I have been trying to write an invigorating chorus to the last Beatitude, "Rejoice in Persecution".  Ain't easy.  I mean, starting it is easy -- urban blues under "when they treat you wrong / for doing right / lift your hands to God..."  But making music to support the lyrics all the way through can be exasperating (and there are plenty of examples of this in the world, including the third and fourth verses of hymns).

Profitable, if you do the evaluating yourself.  It is a great blessing to the world that, so far, there have not been teams (like those pernicious sound system consultants) that come to your church and tell you that your music is outdated, and that for a fee, they will supply you with current updates on new music and methods custom-tailored to your church, and free chain/nose ring sets if you call this week.  One of our other recent posts has an excellent example of a church reviewing its music, and making changes that made a positive difference.

As for brain damage - Ambiguous or vacuous lyrics coupled with soft rock (which I heard this very day on K-LOVE, in one case) unquestionably cause nerve and brain trauma reversible only by changing the channel.  Classical music is good for washing soft rock out of the system, unless it has got to a clinical level; then prayer is the best alternative.

RSS

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service