I have degrees in piano and voice, so that is my strength, but I've been leading worship from guitar for the lady year or so at church. Due to getting some more musicians and the group getting stronger, we could use an electric bass. I'm thinking of getting one. Probably a $500 budget. Top someone who knows nothing about bass, give me your suggestions on a good one for worship and why. Thanks for your help. I'm not opposed to buying used if it means more for the money.

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I ended up getting the Ibanez and ordered a Zoom B3 from amazon, so I should be have a good start.  Thanks for the help.

Hope it's good for you, and you find the B3 useful too. I have a B2.1U, and it's a great tool for toneshaping to make up for deficiencies in a bass or amp, or even to record through.

A resource you might find useful: B3 patches to try. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231507-zoom-b3-share-your-patches/

Thanks.  I just got the B3 today.  I think I will have fun with it...after I learn the bass a little bit.

Don't spend too much time getting lost in the effects. The B3 also has a handy tuner to give you a headstart on sounding musical: the mute option is invaluable for checking tuning part way through a set without being obtrusive. The looper is a brilliant practise tool - don't underestimate the value of being able to listen back to a snippet of your playing when you're not stuggling to play at the same time (eg. playing a scale clearly without tripping over when you move from string to string). Finally, the drum machine, while sadly not programmable, can give you a constant beat to improve your ability to play in time.

In other words, use it to help you learn the bass. Don't entirely neglect the fun side though - I've had my B3 for about a year and am still loving it.

Wulf

I don't think I'm getting too lost in the effects.  I've found a couple basic sounds that sound good, and I'm sure sound better than if I was going direct.  I bought one of those Hal Leonard books 1,2,3 method and am about 50 pages into it, so having the music background already has sped things along.

I do want to get an extra set of strings to have on hand.  Any suggestions?  Should I go light or medium strings on that Ibanez tr600? What picks do you like?  I want to be versatile, so I'm learning with fingers and with a pick.

Bass strings generally last years unless you need a bright tone, and even then they will clean up. Medium gauge will give a bit more tension, which can reduce flubbiness in the bottom E, and flats can also give an interesting (dark) tonal variation (consider Rotosound black tapewound).

Pick-wise it just needs to be strong enough to cope with a bass string, although felt picks (sound like fingers) used to be available. I doubt tone will be much affected by pick type, but fingers will sound very different. Look for more tonal variation moving between neck and bridge to address the strings.

Josh, I play bass, mandolin and keyboard at church, I just would like to know do you play keyboard or piano? If you play Keyboard you already have a bass on board and you can play bass on with that, lots of fun too. If not a bass is a great instrument to have if you have someone to take over on the keys.

The other quick question is, why do you want to use a pick ? Not necessary, unless you need to being heard over the guitarist lol., not normally what most church bassist use; as most use just finger style on worship songs, sometimes picks are used on fast praise songs( or just use your finger nails).

The need for an amp would only be used if you don't have fold back or ear monitors to hear yourself. You can use a DI connection to the PA with or without a small sized size bass amp for your own use. Yes, I know each church has different needs, and each bassist has different wants.

Anyway, have fun, as there are plenty of bass covers on you-tube to practice with.

RSS

© 2018       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service