How do you handle a situation when you have a talented singer/worshiper join your team who is more gifted in talent and is spiritually more mature than your "staff" co-leader? How do you make room for their gifting?

Views: 1017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for clarifying Lyssa, my apologies for doing 1+1 = 4.5.

I agree with Daniel, sounds like time to lead by example.

"It is possible he also fears for his paid position in the long term (you have to acknowledge this is an issue)."

This may be true...even though the Pastor and worship pastor have assured him of his position. The worship pastor HAS stepped back to allow this new guy room.  He just also expects the co-leader to do the same without feeling jilted.  The worship pastor is totally humble and feels we just "have to make room" for this new guy. He's not just a musician.....this is not a fleshly decision. The new guy is an elder in Christ and is very humble himself. The pastors are very sensitive to hearts first, which is why the are not just ignoring co-leaders feelings. However, at the same time, they want to gently helop him understand.....this is an opportunity to grow and he should embrace that. 

You're revealing lots of good things about your church and worship team and pastoral relations that I didn't get in your other post (about female leaders).  Now I see why you have such a strong desire to stay there.

Paid is irrelevant to me in the sense that it's a fine line. We are expected to minister whether we're paid or not. However, I'm also curious if the jolted person was hired as a worship leader, or as something else and just fills in for worship leading. In other words, can he be employed elsewhere? For me, it still comes down to him feeling betrayed and rightly so. 

I agree the betrayal aspect is a big one, and in simple terms of the worship team functioning, perhaps the main one.  But I don't think it is OK for a church to behave in an unethical manner towards its employees either.

Agreed. It's a very curious situation for me. It reminds me of professional sports teams "hiring" better talent to replace a perceived lesser talent.

This is an extremely tough question. When do you embrace someone....and why?  How do you use someone who you know is anointed by God and is tremendously gifted.? How do you incorporate this person into your team? How do use and develop their gifting without others feeling "less worthy"? Do you keep them as an equal contributor with your "singers" for the comfort of other team members? Did Joseph earn his favor from the Pharaoh because of his leadership and personnel skills? Or was it his gifting that won him favor?

No one wants to step aside even when GOD himself sends a greatly gifted person. But, God changes the heart of man to prefer others before themselves. You see the same pride with Pastors. You can have a church full of pastors who don't ever preach. Sure, they have another job in the church. However, some of those pastors are gifted teachers who are just not used for their gifting. It's sad, but it's true....and it's caused in part by the pride of man.

Praise GOD that he is bigger than MAN and raises people up by putting the hook in the right mouths to bring that person into leadership. Praise God for these MEN who hear HIM and step aside, preferring another over themselves, letting the Holy Spirit work.

There are many gifted, wise, anointed worshipers who are too often discarded by MAN and the church looses out on what could be such a blessing. 

Some of my happiest years with a worship team were when we had several people who could sing, some who wrote songs, and all had humble spirits.  I could safely ask any of them to lead -- and did.  We had a rotation; or if it was a long altar service, one would ask the other, 'could you take over?'   They were all good singers, but it wasn't about voices or giftedness; they just had music about Jesus to share.  We would look to each other for song selection, or who would sing what part.

In fact, they worked together so well that I began to have less and less to do.  When I was first hired, in my 30's, as a music pastor, my pastor said my job was to "work myself out of a job", and that literally happened.  Such a blessing can also mean unemployment; and now I work two jobs for much less pay -- but am still very active in music ministry, even with young people (when you get old, your church doesn't always see the connection as vital) through a Christian school, and it's a great life.

Outside the music arena, I also appreciate those churches who use their pastors in real ministry, and not just as sounding boards for the head pastor who must preach every service. 

"Did Joseph earn his favor from the Pharaoh because of his leadership and personnel skills? Or was it his gifting that won him favor?"

Not a very politically correct point where I come from. But it still needed to be said. Thanks for saying it! :)

I'd say a church ought to have a lot of room for the humble and not too much for the snooty.  So if your new member is humble, then you are free to use him/her wherever appropriate.

Now if the new member is spiritually more mature than the co-leader, then the maturity will find its way to the right places.  You won't have to worry about a spiritually mature singer showing up the staff member (at least intentionally).  That staff member might even take cues from this new blessing that has walked into your church and see the good examples, and gain maturity as well. 

A spiritually mature person will make a significant contribution to a worship team, whether as a leader or as a second alto or maracca player.  Their being, their self-in-Christ is what counts.

I remember when I first served as a Worship Leader, it was at an Anglican church in Chiswick, London. There was a lady called Katy who wanted to be part of the Worship, so I welcomed her aboard. Katy had a lovely voice and after some time felt led by the Lord to lead some songs. I had an instant idea from the Holy Spirit to share the leading of Worship, and so it was that one week I would lead and Katy would support and the next week Katy would lead and I would support her. Guess what, that ministry was blessed by God, it was powerful and hearts were pierced and blessed and touched. If I hadn't lovingly shared as God wanted me to, I don't think He would have blessed it, and I would have been guilty of preventing Katy from her calling. The upside was we both grew in this ministry, and I learnt a powerful lesson about being obedient to God. I guess humbleness is the key, we are nothing without God, remember............IT"S NOT ABOUT US!!!!

Those beautiful instant ideas often work well in a church that is open-hearted.

RSS

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service