Not sure if you have the same system through the rest of the world, but in the UK we are supposed to report our activities in using copyrighted songs through an organisation called CCLI.  Broadly speaking, I like this organisation... they provide a means whereby songwriters actually get some reward for the songs they write, and which we use.  All well and good.

But...

We used to report songs using a software tool called Copyreport.  This worked nicely.... if you used a particular song during the year then you ticked a box for making copies, a box for printing words, and a box for having projected the words.  Nice and easy... all done for that song for that year... one tickbox for each song.  But now - aaargh - they've switched to a web based tool and, boy, do they want detail!  Each time you print, or project, or record a song, they want to know about it.  If you make copies, they want to know exactly how many.  If you dowload the sheet music for a song, email it to 4 other musicians, and everyone (including yourself) prints out a copy, then you need to say that's 9 copies (one for each emailing activity, one for each printout).

I can see the admin side of my role has just got an awful lot more time consuming :-(

Anyone else in the UK (or elsewhere) discovered the new system, or similar, yet?

Views: 695

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brenda

Well, it sounds as though in this, at least, they are being reasonable!  What is still really annoying me is the week-by-week reporting of lyrics displayed... under the previous system, this wasn't necessary at all....

My solution?  I'm definitely NOT going to report each week.  I keep copies of the display files throughout the year. At the end of the year, I can search for how many times some lyrics from each song are contained in the files.... it will still take me longer than the previous reports, but I think total amount spent will be less, and it's less hassle than remembering to fill in the report each week.

Brenda Cameron said:

Hi Daniel

I have had a very helpful conversation with CCLI (UK) and it has confirmed what I have thought all along about our system.

Daniel said:

... as it is, I suspect you will spend ages with this aspect of your reports

On the contrary, with the system we use (http://www.powermusicsoftware.co.uk) we only have to report under the MRL when we import a piece of music from PDF or scan music into the software. This is the only time we actually 'reproduce' a digital copy. When we display the music using the software each week we are using a typeset that has already beeen reproduced and reported on at the time of import, so it is like opening a book each week - no need to report.

I agree we still have to report on the lyrics displayed each week, but that is fairly straightforward if you can get reports from your display software, or just enter the songs displayed. My humble opinion is that reporting is going to be easier for us from now on :)

(This may change in future when they catch up with the technology)

Yes I don't think we have to report each week (that would be impractical for most of us!). The answer will be for song display software to report on usage over a time range. Then we simply take that information and enter it in the report. Or better still, the song display software submits it automatically! Perhaps, in time, that will come.

I can understand that some songs are used more than others throughout the year, so the rights owners of more frequently used songs should be recompensed appropriately. That is what is behind the change.

Daniel Read said:

Hi Brenda

Well, it sounds as though in this, at least, they are being reasonable!  What is still really annoying me is the week-by-week reporting of lyrics displayed... under the previous system, this wasn't necessary at all....

My solution?  I'm definitely NOT going to report each week.  I keep copies of the display files throughout the year. At the end of the year, I can search for how many times some lyrics from each song are contained in the files.... it will still take me longer than the previous reports, but I think total amount spent will be less, and it's less hassle than remembering to fill in the report each week.

Brenda Cameron said:

Hi Daniel

I have had a very helpful conversation with CCLI (UK) and it has confirmed what I have thought all along about our system.

Daniel said:

... as it is, I suspect you will spend ages with this aspect of your reports

On the contrary, with the system we use (http://www.powermusicsoftware.co.uk) we only have to report under the MRL when we import a piece of music from PDF or scan music into the software. This is the only time we actually 'reproduce' a digital copy. When we display the music using the software each week we are using a typeset that has already beeen reproduced and reported on at the time of import, so it is like opening a book each week - no need to report.

I agree we still have to report on the lyrics displayed each week, but that is fairly straightforward if you can get reports from your display software, or just enter the songs displayed. My humble opinion is that reporting is going to be easier for us from now on :)

(This may change in future when they catch up with the technology)

CCLI are "suggesting" that we report each week.  At the moment I don't think it is compulsory....  But if you have song display software that will do that job for you, then you are (a) lucky, and (b) unusual.  I'll have to do some of the totalling up manually.

You can still recompense the users of more frequently used songs appropriately through random sampling.  I am still of the opinion that if we each reported on song usage for a randomly chosen sample of weeks (say, 5, or 10, weeks out of a year) then this should give CCLI plenty of information to be able to distribute funds fairly. They don't need to know every time we use a song.

There is a debate to be had about whether "frequently used songs" should be recompensed more. How about songs which are exceptionally useful to us at specific times of the year? They get used less often, but are valuable to the church's life.

Brenda Cameron said:

Yes I don't think we have to report each week (that would be impractical for most of us!). The answer will be for song display software to report on usage over a time range. Then we simply take that information and enter it in the report. Or better still, the song display software submits it automatically! Perhaps, in time, that will come.

I can understand that some songs are used more than others throughout the year, so the rights owners of more frequently used songs should be recompensed appropriately. That is what is behind the change.

Daniel--

I don't disagree with your sentiment at all about the songs that are exceptionally useful to us at special times throughout the year.  But since the system is designed to compensate IP holders for their frequent use and not songs we deem special, I say we as individual churches should send the songwriters Christmas cards directly with a little something extra in them!!!

:-)

Steve

Daniel Read said:

...There is a debate to be had about whether "frequently used songs" should be recompensed more. How about songs which are exceptionally useful to us at specific times of the year? They get used less often, but are valuable to the church's life.

RSS

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service