It seems that some guitarists think that using a capo is in some way cheating and therefore refuse to use one. I don't understand this as in my opinion many songs sound better when payed with capo chords rather than playing the "real" equivalent of those chords.

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Views: 2112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last night I played "Might to save" in the key of A but using a capo on fret 2 and playing chords from the key of G. I think it sounded better than just removing the capo and playing the chords from the key of A. Am I just imagining this or is there a real difference in sound?
I used to be one of those who avoided capo's. But, then , revalation! Like you I found that many songs sound better using the capo and now use one quite often. To my ears steel strung acoustic guitars tend to sound better when as many strings as possible are allowed to ring, something that doesn't happen with barre chords in the same way. So Phil, I'm with you!
Mark
I was also one of those people who avoided capos and thought it was cheating, until I realised that I was using up so much energy trying to play Eb's etc. properly, when all I needed to do was put the capo on, relax and use all of that energy for worshipping Him. Also, I realised that some songs are enhanced by playing them further up the fretboard giving them a richer sound. I agree with both your comments about putting the capo on to fret 2 and playing in A with the G sequence, as I feel also that open chords ring much better than bar.
That's funny because the last time I played "Mighty to Save" I played it in the key of D with capo 5 to play A chords....
I just thought it sounded funny with the regular D chords and I didn't like it with D2 either....

Love capos though either way!
I have been playing guitar for some 30 years now. I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with using a capo. I run into songs that have obviously been written on the piano (How do I know this?) because they are written in "weird" keys such as "Ed" or "F." It's easier to grab my capo and play in a "guitarist's key." Besides, if Aronn Shust can use one it MUST be ok. lol And, some thimes the sound is richer when a capo is used. My opinion? It is up to the individual. If you can play in those "weird" keys, you are a better man than I Gunga Din!
I think you and I may be the only ones old enough on this site to know who Gunga DIn is.
It is an indespensible tool to expand the sonic range of your team.

If every guitar plays the same chords in the same positions you are not producing a full spectrum of tones.
If the key is E and you have 2 guitars, have one capo 2 and play in D voicing.
With 3 guitars have another capo 5 using C voicing. You will be amazed how full and lush it sounds.

I have added a 'short-cut' (cut) capo to my trick bag. It allows for a drop tune sound in standard pitch.
Very Useful in E ; A .... permits modal sounds using just a finger or 2 to form chords.[ vid linked below ]

http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=opera&rls=en&q=c...
Exactly Harold! We have 3 guitars and capoing on different frets gives songs more texture.
couldn't agree more.
I love using my Capo. It has even helped me with my songwriting. I'm even using one in my profile pic!
Like Harold said the sounds that you can get are amazing when two or more guitars are capod in different keys/chords.
I"m typically a 'stickler' for making the sound on stage as similar as possible to what's on the recording. I want as little distraction as possible for the worship crowd, so they can take the band for granted ( I like to pray to be 'invisible' ) and focus on the message of the music. With that goal in mind, I'll use a capo to get the voicing on a song that mimics what they've already heard on the radio.

The thread states "Why refuse a capo" I can't ever remember using a capo on an electric in church ( Bruce Springsteen's Downbound Train MUST be played in Em, at the third fret ) but I've yet to find a capo that will allow me to bend strings without repercussions later. I don't mess with cut capos, I have a coule of guitars with alternate tunings, and switching a guitar is a more reliable way to change tuning between songs. Watch out for an 'Open E' Gibson Firebird on stage soon, just for the fun of sliding!
Jimbo
II Chronicles 5:13
Many (if not most) capos in use today are the spring clip on style.
This type of capo does not permit adjustment to tension it applies to fretboard.

Capo Tension should only be tight enough to note cleanly (without buzz) allowing strings to move when bent. I 'twang' strings to accentuate chord changes w/o problems. Too much tension will eventually cause early fret wear. There are various types of manual capos, I've used Shubb for 30 yrs.

I also use it (often with the cut) on my Heritage acoustic electric. It helps maintain the 'flow' of Worship. I understand it is not for everyone, and that drop tuning may feel more pure, however not everyone can afford multiple (quality) guitars.

http://www.shubb.com/capos.html

RSS

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service