Worship The Rock - Worship Leader Forum & Social Network

Worship Leaders Network | Worship Leader Forum | Worship Leader Resources & Jobs

Does anyone use any sort of effects pedals for acoustic guitars? If so, what sort of patches are you using?

Views: 254

Replies to This Discussion

I use a stereo multi-effects pedal called Zoom. I mainly use it to add a bit of reverb and chorus to my sound, and mostly use one preset patch. It has a pedal which I use to increase the chorus effect for more contemporary material, as we switch between different styles a lot in our services. I also use it on the road. It has some great electric guitar patches on it, and has speaker simulation if you play lead (but no good with live acoustic guitar because of feedback problems!). Here's the info. My model is previous to the one shown at the link.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/

On the downside, it's a bit shrill, so I have to adjust my guitar EQ to take off the top/presence to compensate. Also I once accidently stood on it during 'Light of the world' and it switched to a heavy rock setting....in a really special, quiet moment! It certainly woke the congregation up!
My name is Randy and we have the same pedal in our church only differance is ours is green .
for me i like plane acoustic with just a hint of effects. to much and it sounds weird.
I noticed it out in the congregation while others guitar players were worshiping
it also depends on the other instuments you have in the band such as screaming distorted
electric guitar . also on what instrument is the lead instrument/ the type of song /is it praise or worship
'I feel for you' nothing worse than after a awesome praise set and you are in worship' and the congregation
has opened their hearts up and are letting the Lord minister to them and out of nowhere
comes this horrifying loud explosive sound and instantly breaks the move of the holy spirit. been there amen
and don't want to go back . a friend of mine has a saying and it goes like this
IF MY EAR IS HAPPY AND LIKES THE SOUND I DONT CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK AMEN
AS LONG AS THE LORD IS HAPPY AND PLEASED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I usually run my acoustic through an L.R. Baggs Para-Acoustic DI. Not really effects, but it has a nice EQ so that I can notch out feedback from the platform, if necessary.

I don't use effects on acoustic much - I save those for the electric. : )
I picked up a Zoom G1X for my electric but I started to play with some patches with the acoustic. I've been getting some cool effects by putting a little phaser into the sound. The team has liked the sound - not on everything, just one or two songs. The reverb and EQ can give different sounds out of the same guitar which can add some variety too.

The reason for my question comes from wanting to get different fills on the songs we're playing. Our team consists of piano, flute, guitar - acoustic, bass and drums. I'm trying to use the G1X to getting different sounds for different songs or even the different sections of a song for contrast/emphasis. I don't want to bring in the electric, at least not yet, so I want to try different sounds out with the acoustic.

And James, I got a feel for what happened to you. At practice, I wanted a certain patch number and went to the wrong one. Overdriven blues just doesn't work - lol.
I think you're on the right track.

I would stick with either modulation (phaser, chorus, vibrato) or some sort of time-based (delay, tremolo) effect. Perhaps a phrase sampler if you're band is super tight. : )
Hey Lorne sorry not to have acknowledged your reply - as I newbie I didnt realise that I had to select 'follow' to get an email notification... doh!!

The Zoom's got a lot of sounds on it to play with, but I just use the one. I find in worship service situations I can't get my head around switching patches too much. We have a similar setup to you in our Church, and one thing that can be quite frustrating is the shift in volume required when switching between strumming and finger picking type songs, unfortunately I have little control over this, and the particular pedal patch I use does not help much in that department. I've tried playing around with compression, but dont like what it does to the sound. The sounddesk scream at me when I up the volume pot on the guitar!! Any ideas on that?

On the different sounds front you mention, I use techniques like right hand damping to change the feel of the sound. Quite good for the more upbeat songs.
Just did my first service with it and it went pretty good. Used 4 different patches mainly for reverb and delay effects. I know what you mean about the compression. I was looking forward to this feature when I decided to get it. Hasn't panned out too well just yet. What I did do was put two patches in that were almost identical. The difference was in the patch level and maybe one other effect. When I dropped into light picking or some melody fills, I'd switch to the second patch then go back to the first when I'm doing strumming. This way the volume was somewhat consistent. Also, you might not want as much chorus when picking as you might for strumming. Same for the other effects - some work for one style of playing but not others. I just saved them in A5 and A6 and it was really easy to move back and forth.
That's a really good idea about the two patches adjacent to one-another; thanks very much for that. I am going to give that a go for when I am next up on the rota in May (I do morning services on alternative months). Great tips and glad it worked out for you today!
Although I don't use multi-effect units often any more, one technique that I always found advantageous was to create a bank of 'generic', everyday effects and put them up front - first 3 or 4 patches. With an electric I usually had clean, slightly dirty, heavy, and 'over the top'. Then I would have some song-specific patches that would change after that.

I usually arranged them by tune, so that if we had 8 songs then I had 8 patches in a row (or more if I used more than one per tune). It took a lot of the stress off of the live situation. : ) Then I could just note the patch # on my set list or chart and it became second nature to change at the right time...
Also a really nice idea. Will use that too (if I can work out how to programme it!)
I use a chorus effect box. I can adjust the effect and turn it off when strumming.
Works well.
With my electric, that almost always goes thru my POD XT Live, which is a modeller/multi-effects. It's great because I can store a ridiculous amounts of 'patches' like Judah says. Used to use a bunch of 'well-know' single effects, but it was a nightmare to control, especially if you sing and play.

However, for my acoustic, I don't usually do this. I have a Line 6 MM4 and DL4. One is a modulator with 4 memory settings and other is a delay with 3 memory settings and looping capabilities. Not as easy as the POD XT Live, but you can still pre-set-up a bunch of sounds with just those two pedals.

I usually use the MM4 to dial up Chorus settings that work to 'thicken' the sound. It emulated a number of vintage units that have various 'sounds'. This allows me to really drive an upbeat song. Tremolo and Flange and some other effects can also help to add secondary slower movement/flow to a strumming pattern, but I would suggest over-using them.

The delay I used mostly on slower songs. For finger picking, I like it in a U2 Edge rhythmic delay, as it allows me to make it sound like I'm playing more notes than I'm really playing. On other lighter strumming songs it allows me to stretch out some chords to let them linger longer. It's also good on any solos you might be doing.

Although not a effect, EQ and volume controls can also be a useful too.

Less is definitely more when it comes to the acoustic. However, often to get that radio quality sound and avoid your guitar sound thin in a mix with a big band, you sometimes need that extra something.

Hope that helps.

*After re-reading my post... seems a lot like Judah's suggestion on March 13th. =)

RSS

Artist Spotlight Albums

If you're an artist and would like to be featured get in touch!

Providing worship leaders with a worship leader social networking community of worship pastors, worship leaders and team members. Worship leader resources on WTR include worship set lists, worship leader forum, worship groups, worship leader jobs, popular worship songs, worship blogs from worship pastors, worship events, festivals and conference listings, a place to chat about all things worship related, videos and photos. WTR aims to resource worship leaders in the best possible way - by providing free worship leader tips and training resources.

About | Advertise | Code of Conduct | Contact Us | Endorsements | Feeds | In the Media

© 2014   Created by Phil Williams.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service