Worship The Rock - Worship Leader Forum & Social Network

Worship Leaders Network | Worship Leader Forum | Worship Leader Resources & Jobs

Thought it would be good to share what guitars we own and play here. Makes, models, strings and anything else that you want to share!

Views: 1112

Replies to This Discussion

My main acoustic is a '95 Taylor 812ce. I've tried many other guitars, but always come back to this one. The only change made tho this is that very recently I upgraded the original Fishman Acoustic Matrix undersaddle pickup to a never Infinity Matrix...but only because I was having issues with the old one. I have been using John Pearse light gauge strings on this guitar practically since day one. I use the 80/20 bronze. I used to use the phosphor bronze, but bought the 80/20s on a whim once and was amazed at how much warmer & rounder they sounded. Haven't gone back.

I also keep a Taylor 810-WMB with a Fishman Rare Earth Blend handy for alternate tunings. I have a few arrangements I do in DADGAD and Open D. Saves time by not having to retune. Also use John Pearse 80/20s on this, but mediums to drive the larger soundboard and bigger body.

I run them through a Fishman Pro Platinum EQ preamp/DI box that has a really warm sound and great EQ for getting a good sound in just about any room.

I have a Greeta Dreadnaught  - a CF Martin design built in India under Japanese supervision. I got it in the early 1980s. Circa 1990 I mounted a Dimarzio transducer (the disk type) inside under the bridge. It has a very nice sound. 

About 4 years ago I got a Rogue dreadnaught acoustic/electric with the built in active transducer.  It sounds ok and it has a good punch for sound system. 

I also have a Montana Travel guitar (the only travel guitar I found that has enough body to actually sound like something) which I put nylon strings on.   My son took it to a Phil Keaggy concert once to jam on while waiting in line.  Phil came up to us ( I have known him for decades) and played a few chords and runs on it.  :)

First, I've only been playing guitar for about 8 1/2 years. I started with an American Ovation but just couldn't bond with the round back, other than that I loved the sound and the way it played, sold it and got a Carvin AC275 thin body chambered acoustic which I love, full sound yetplays like an electric. I still need something I can play acoustically and have a very hard time with full body acoustics, medical condition i won't get into, so I just recently got a Carvin AC375 which is a bit thicker than the AC275 and is a true acoustic and projects beautifully for small groups and sounds better than most full size acoustics I've heard pluged in, it is an awesome guitar. I put both through a Fishman Aura Spectrum pedal then direct into the system. I love them both and play them equally in church and the AC375 every week for home groups and practice at home.

I love the sound of Taylors but like I said can't play them very long at a time and IMHO the AC375 sounds better for a lot less money and looks a lot better. 

Michael, I play a 1988 Takamine EF350, cutaway, a Taylor 310 and a Seagull M6+ (all acoustics), an Oscar Schmidt mandolin and a Knilling cello. The Segull is mostly a fingerstyle guitar due to it's 1.8" wide neck, the Tak is my primary strummer/flatpicker and the Taylor is a backup to both.

I have a couple of Taks that I simply love playing when I am in public.  Also have a Martin D-16 that I use at camp a good bit. I had a Seagull but have loaned it out to one of my students who could not afford a guitar at this time.  Also have my old Sigma that I have had for close to 40 years. It rarely gets played but has sentimental value.  The Taks are my primary guitars and when I pull them out, it makes the Taylor players in the audience droll a bit.  If I could wish to own one other guitar, it would be a McPherson.   

McPherson seems to be the worship guitar of choice these days. They're great plugged in and are very well made, but the ones I've played lacked the acoustic tone I expected of a $5000 guitar. 

Stevo, I've played for some time and seen/played dozens of guitars but have never heard of a McPherson.

Robert

Paul Baloche plays McPherson. So does Amy Grant and quite a few Nashville players.  I got to play Paul's when I was in his songwriting class many years ago and it was great. I have played others that I did not think were worth the price tag.  Last time I checked, the McPherson that I was interested in had a $7,800 price tag.  I prefer my Taks over anything else I have played and I agree with Stevo that we should be able to expect more from a guitar of that price. When the Senior McPherson retired and handed over the business to his son, I felt like a lot of the quality of the McPherson Guitars went with him.  Junior just does seem to have the heart for acoustic music like his Dad did. 

http://mcphersonguitars.com/

From a looks and construction perspective, they are to die for. They also have a superb action. And a lot of folks love them. But I played these against Lowdens, Collings and Goodall's and I really loved the tone of the Lowdens more and they were less money. I thin I'll stick with my Taylor 710BCE. 

I have to agree - I've played a few now and really find them lacking. It's not really a reflection on their build or quality - they are just not what I look for in an acoustic guitar. Not the sound or feel that I like.

I keep buying, selling,and trading much more expensive guitars including a Gibson Songwriter Studio, a Gibson J200, a Martin X Series and Martin D28, but the one performance guitar that I keep coming back to is the Seagull M6 spruce.

Seagulls are a great value.

RSS

Artist Spotlight Albums

If you're an artist and would like to be featured get in touch!

Providing worship leaders with a worship leader social networking community of worship pastors, worship leaders and team members. Worship leader resources on WTR include worship set lists, worship leader forum, worship groups, worship leader jobs, popular worship songs, worship blogs from worship pastors, worship events, festivals and conference listings, a place to chat about all things worship related, videos and photos. WTR aims to resource worship leaders in the best possible way - by providing free worship leader tips and training resources.

About | Advertise | Code of Conduct | Contact Us | Endorsements | Feeds | In the Media

© 2014   Created by Phil Williams.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service