Spinning off from the discussion of 'irrelevant skills', and particularly the subsection about what to call the chord spelt: B D F A C (Dm7/B... or Bm7b5b9) brought back to mind a question I asked at a gathering of my worship team last Sunday afternoon: what would you like to see written down to help you?

We've got some people who are very notation orientated - they want the dots (vocal parts / piano part specifically). Others like chord charts, although that's flexible term - I think I might be the only one, at the moment, who'd relish unpacking Bm7b5b9. As we're making more use of software like OnSong, I sometimes find it frustrating when the chords I'm shown are missing the little tweaks and inversions I'm used to using as a guide although I'm also not averse to avoiding or changing chords that don't sound right. We've also got some who don't use any music (yep - the drummers) or tend to play just from a lyrics sheet (an experienced guitarist).

As you can see, that's rather a lot of ground to cover. What do you hand round in your setting to give people a firm foundation for playing the music?

Wulf

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And a happy Sunday to you, too :-(  I was expecting to read that on Sunday the bass shows up and plays unnecessarily complex lines, off the beat and occasionally a half-step north or south of the rest of the club.

We long ago gave up trying to sound anything like the recording - actually, I don't think we ever tried.  We don't have a keyboard player right now, but if we did I would forbid them from downloading the full score.  (Actually, what we DO have is an unused Hammond M-3 - sort of "mini B-3," but the same sound generation hardware - with a real Leslie speaker, and if somebody wanted to play keyboards, I'd want them to figure out how to play that).

I recall that "leading from behind" discussion, maybe you started it.  Although I am, nominally, the leader of our band, I've found that my role during the actual worship experience ( :-) ) is just to try to figure out what's going off the rails and trying to cover that.

I have found - and it took a while to work this out - that giving people chord charts they could mark up, and then the next time we did that song, they'd still have their markups from before - helped some people "play better."  Are you handing out fresh printouts of the songs each week?

Anyway, you have my sypathies for your general problem...

Whenever I try to share things like this, it comes out rather dark. Just me then?

Anyway, we collect the copies and file them so as not to have stray copies reproducing more copies that we can't then track, when each copy has our CCLI # on it.

RSS

© 2017       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service