Worship The Rock - Worship Leader Forum & Social Network

Worship Leaders Network | Worship Leader Forum | Worship Leader Resources & Jobs

We play quite a lotta secular stuff at church, often with lyrics changed to Christian content. Which is great as many people recognise them and enjoy them

I see a lotta people here don't listen to secular music. So i just want to see what people feel in general about playing secular stuff in church?

Any comments welcome :)

Views: 2620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please, please don't bring worldly stuff into the Church...do you think you can control it if you open the door to it?
The 'world system" (of which music is a large part; Daniel ch. 3) is a pernicious evil that must be continually resisted.
The Church needs to be continually on guard against worldly influences. I was at a Church recently that played a full Beatles song during service complete with staged young female screaming fans! Give me a heavenly break!
Love for the world is animosity towards God...don't flirt with it.
The screaming fans seems a bit over the top, but we've used secular pieces VERY SELECTIVELY in worship. Our mission team video used U2's Beautiful Day, and (as I've mentioned before) the Byrds' Turn, Turn, Turn is taken straight from Ecclesiastes, but wasn't a "religious" song per-se.
I expect that this is much like the wonderful discussion that happened after Peter came back from eating from the 'unclean' buffet that God told him to go to.

I'm not saying that everything is appropriate, neither would I suggest that everything is inappropriate. I really think that the true issue here is more along the lines of what God is calling you to do in the place that you are in. It is readily apparent that there are a number of diverse opinions on the topic (aren't there always, here in cyberspace). The truth is that you should sing what the Holy Spirit leads you to sing.

I for one would not approach the topic of what He's telling you. I have a hard enough time (sometimes) locking in on what He's telling me.

The pattern that I see in Scripture is that there are several psalms that are written 'to the tune of' other tunes. (As some of those songs are not listed, we have no clue if they were other church songs or not.) I also notice that in Amos that God is fairly unhappy with religious tunes when they are offered in the wrong heart condition (appears to be the most apparent rebuke of musical activity in the Word).

It seems to me that a balanced approach would be to watch where your heart is and do what God leads you to do. : )
On the subject of the Psalms possibly being written to the tune of other songs; the same should be noted of MOST "hymns". These were in fact debaucherous drinking songs in their original state.

Unfortunately, the same cannot easily be done today, with most songs having known creators and rights attached to them.

~M
Ahh....if only Leviticus covered copyright negotiations.... : )
I think it's a great idea. Not just from the point of view of doing something a little different in our sung worship, but also think of the impact on a visitor/first timer at your church if there's a song they know.

One thing I'm really keen on doing at our church is the U2charist (communion service and liturgy based entirely around songs by U2!).

K
Just a tidbit to add to the discussion:

I sometimes attend a local church in South Sacramento for additional learning from their pastor (great speaker), and their worship team is pretty strong, confident, and inspiring too. Very anointed ministries at this church. And, they sometimes play secular, but inspirational songs before a message, or closing a service. I feel that if a song brings people closer to God, helps them understand what the pastor is communicating that day, and doesn't argue with scripture, then it can be a blessed tool =]
As has been stated over and over---in todays day and age you can get in big trouble if you're playing secular music and changing the lyrics-- I would advise against that due to copyright infringement...

however, a few hundred years ago during the protestant split from mainstream catholicism most of the songs sung in services were in fact popular bar tunes with new lyrics glorifying to God---
in fact, we still sing many of them-- Amazing Grace is the most notable of these :)

on another note-- a friend of mine told me how he started leading worship months after he first got saved and he would sing "dead skunk in the middle of the road" in church because it had the word "stinking to high heaven" and he figured any song with "heaven" in it could be sung in church HAHA!!

We used to sing "I'm a believer" by the monkees but changed one word -- (Then I saw "HIS" face....)
No, Shezz!! Don't water it down with secular music. In these days we need the full power of God brought down by pure, intense worship of the One True God. We don't need secular music to bring people into our churches. We need powerful worship of the only One who can bring hope and change in these last days.
Wow...water it down? That's like preaching to a bunch of saved people about salvation every week. Music is THE MOST POWERFUL PHENOMENA ON THIS PLANET...period...our children are swayed with a microphone to do things they would not normally do. If POSITIVE, secular music, THAT HAS LYRICS SPECIFICALLY ABOUT GOD AND HIS GLORY, can coax someone into the church where they MIGHT get a dose of Holy Ghost in the next song...I say SING IT SISTER!
I was on holidays, or should I say helping my mother on the farm in May and up to yesterday where there is no internet and missed out on the topic on another thread.

Back to that topic - If I like a secular song or should I say the music to it, I rewrite the words to glorify Christ and keep the tune.

The people that frequent the food bank we hold our Outreach at can relate to the music and I pray the words will sink in.

In His service
>< ))/*>
I'm not a fan of secular music being in church unless the lyrics have been changed to Christian, or it is for a wedding, or...if it is a classical piece played for the offering time or something like that. I would be careful about it though. People need to know that the lyrics have been changed to glorify the Lord and etc. Wedding's usually, have secular love song or songs which are considered acceptable. I like Sherry's comment about watering it down. That is a very good point, We don't want to water down the Gospel down by music.
This spring our church had a womens luncheon with the theme of 1950's. We had a worship team that lead a little worship and did some songs (from the 50's) during our eating time. At first, I got a funny feeling in my stomach but we were in the basement/fellowship hall so I was ok with it, but I don't recommend it during a regular service in the sanctuary.
I just think that it should be prayed about, the Pastor should put in his input, and where it is used is very important. I can't help but remember that satan WAS a worship leader in heaven before he was booted out.

RSS

Artist Spotlight Albums

If you're an artist and would like to be featured get in touch!

Providing worship leaders with a worship leader social networking community of worship pastors, worship leaders and team members. Worship leader resources on WTR include worship set lists, worship leader forum, worship groups, worship leader jobs, popular worship songs, worship blogs from worship pastors, worship events, festivals and conference listings, a place to chat about all things worship related, videos and photos. WTR aims to resource worship leaders in the best possible way - by providing free worship leader tips and training resources.

About | Advertise | Code of Conduct | Contact Us | Endorsements | Feeds | In the Media

© 2014   Created by Phil Williams.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service