Today's electric guitar practice session, unplugged on the Strat, leaning against the kitchen counter:
- 24/7 - long scales in all twelve keys and relative minors using patterns and right hand finger combinations from the Segovia "Purple Book",
- Single note tremolo picking exercise (16th notes with gradual increase in speed using a metronome,
- Strumming chord progression "From the Day" with metronome as above,
- ii-V-I progressions in all keys using drop 2 and drop 3 7th chords and inversions,
- Sight reading practice using Ricci Adams' online music theory exercises,
- Preparing from the written guitar score for an upcoming performance of "Bye Bye Birdie" at my daughter's high school,

And almost nothing having to do with memorizing worship music.
Or practicing tapping in a delay tempo. Or fiddling with overdrive settings. Has my electric guitar skill set become irrelevant to modern worship?

Views: 1069

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Racket? ;-)

FWIW I've been enjoying watching That Pedal Show on youtube - if you like great guitar tone and like pedals then Dan and Mick are really good. None of the bland identikit guitar sounds that seems to have infested both secular and christian music circles.

I've seen a few of their episodes. There's also a show sponsored by Anderton's - one episode was an enlightening comparison between a low end Gibson and a high end Epiphone.

I met Mick outside before their boss 40th anniversary show, and he was completely 'normal'.

You're the only famous person I know. B-)

Famous as in "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"?

Quite.

Hail Caesar.

Carry on, that man. :-))

I know the ones you mean. They do some interesting comparisons although there's quite a high drivel rating. I'm very grateful for the ability to skip through YouTube videos. The Pedal Show ones are a bit more content rich, although I also appreciate the way they tend to put links so you can jump to what you want.

I do try to make sure I spend more time practising than watching videos!

Wulf

The drivel is also fun. I find myself laughing along with them frequently, and it feels like they're people I'd like to know outside of the video (from what I saw, that's probably true). And they're not sweary, crude, gross or unpleasantly vulgar, either onscreen, or from when I met Mick & his wife having a puncture fixed in stressful circumstances, offscreen.

I'm assuming from its slang usage meaning a certain level of intentional slovenliness that "ratchet" is a colloquial pronunciation of "wretched."

I only know ratchet as one of these: http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/9716597+w+h+q80+re0+cr1/sstp_0...

There is also Nurse Ratched (also known as "Big Nurse") is a fictional character and the main antagonist of Ken Kesey's 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, as well as the 1975 film. A cold, heartless tyrant, Nurse Ratched has become the stereotype of the nurse as a battleaxe.

RSS

© 2017       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service