Worship The Rock - Worship Leader Forum & Social Network

Worship Leaders Network | Worship Leader Forum | Worship Leader Resources & Jobs

Just wanted to throw this out and see how many churches are using brass players in worship. The world is flooded with guitars and drummers - which is not a bad thing, but can I find many churches using brass?

Post me your experiences in local churches.

Views: 1234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Currently, I am playing bass with the worship team where I attend but I have been playing trumpet on some songs. I have to play one or the other... if I were more talented I could probably play both...lol Our worship leader keeps hinting that I should.
I'm able to play percussion (djembe/cabasa/chimes/etc.) with a sax on my neck for solos on the same song, but bass and trumpet does seem a bit much! Maybe you should train somebody on trumpet valve fingering and have him (or her) hold it to your lips as you blow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a good idea. It would probably be easier to teach someone to play the bass and free me up to play trumpet all the time when I'm not singing (that's the other thing our worship leader wants me to do...we don't have any other men who sing harmonies). I've been playing trumpet about 39 years and bass about 4. I do have the benefit of knowledge of music theory which helps for the bass. The problem is I love doing all three, so I hate to choose.
Oooh yes! Brass can be very stirring! Just done a Celtic Praise Evening as part of the MOD festival in Scotland, and it was wonderful to hear a cornet played!!!! Doesn't the bible itself mention trumpets sounding?! xx
" Doesn't the bible itself mention trumpets sounding?! "

in numerous places
And flutes (expressible as pan pipes, recorders, traverse flutes and all bundled together to make an organ!) Basically, anything that is scratched, hit, blown into (or today, completes an electric circuit) is qualified to be an instrument of praise.

I'm hot on this right now -- just got back from hearing a symphony concert, real instruments, real acoustics (so a choir singing against full orchestra needed no mic's at all), brass bouncing off the walls. YAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

It's all right. I'll get over it. The electric guitar and trap set are also bonafide instruments of praise, and their use is becoming a fine art (some guitarists have as many pedals as an organist!). Oh, but bring on the glory of the brass and the tenderness of the woodwinds and the subtlety of the strings!

" Doesn't the bible itself mention trumpets sounding?! "

Yes, and that would be the Shofar, or ram/antelope horn.

We have a couple of players, one who fills in with our band for one song: "Sound the Shofar Loud!" written by our main worship leader.

There also were 2 silver trumpets that were used exclusively for tabernacle/temple services and they were similar to the straight trumpets (unvalved) of the midevel and baroque periods.

Our worship team has a couple of brass players. One husband/wife and one college student. At first I didn't know what to do with them, as I had no experience with horn music. However, I've really enjoyed having them play. I treat them as another synth layer. They are able to layer very cool arrangements like a synth player would be able to. Of course, I'm very lucky because the husband/wife team are very experienced players (both in performance and music theory knowledge). I can even give them the guitar solos in certain songs and they will compose horn parts that follow that melody). I try to steer them away from anything that sounds like "band" music, polka and ska.

I may not have been excited about them playing on the team at first (I inherited them from the previous worship leader), but now I'm disappointed when they're not there!

I'm trying to bring band instruments back into our worship. I love the praise band worship sound with horns and sax. Looking for arrangements.

That's really cool, especially since "Zinke", in German, is a brass instrument.

Paul, I played in a brass band in a pentecostal Church of God for 10 years. We had 3 trumpets, 1 trombone, 1 sax, 1 french horn, along with bass guitar, piano and organ. We rocked pretty strong for 10 years, and it was a great worship atmosphere.

Today I've gravitated to acoustic guitar, cello and mandolin (try to add mandolin to a service, THATS a challenge), but still break out the brass from time to time to play a muted piece with keys.

My advise to  you, add brass like you cook a frog, very slowly.

Robert

I played trombone for many years, and we had several other instruments. I too found it hard to lead with my horn. :-)
It's a good thing to have brass involved. Read Psalm 150

RSS

Artist Spotlight Albums

If you're an artist and would like to be featured get in touch!

Providing worship leaders with a worship leader social networking community of worship pastors, worship leaders and team members. Worship leader resources on WTR include worship set lists, worship leader forum, worship groups, worship leader jobs, popular worship songs, worship blogs from worship pastors, worship events, festivals and conference listings, a place to chat about all things worship related, videos and photos. WTR aims to resource worship leaders in the best possible way - by providing free worship leader tips and training resources.

About | Advertise | Code of Conduct | Contact Us | Endorsements | Feeds | In the Media

© 2014   Created by Phil Williams.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service